Certified Surgical First Assist/Registered Nurse First Assistant
Company: Prevea Health
Location: Eau Claire
Posted on: March 12, 2019
Title Certified Surgical First Assist/Registered Nurse First Assistant- Cardiac Surgery- Sacred Heart - Eau Claire Position Certified Surgical 1st Assist-1STAST Requirements Location Sacred Heart Hosp-403 Description Job Title/Position: Certified Surgical First Assistant Job Classification: Direct Patient Care / Hands-On Patient Care Date of Analysis: 6/12/2013 Date of Revision/Review: 2/15/2017 __________________________________________________________________________________________ Brief Description of Job Responsibilities: The Certified First Assistant will possess mastery of a broad range of skills related to surgical procedures, technical functions; aseptic technique and patient care that will help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient. Pre-operative: Verify availability of surgical equipment and supplies. (e.g., reserve equipment, implants to surgeon`s preference) Obtain diagnostic studies for reference Prepare operating room environment according to surgical procedure and surgeon preference. (e.g. temperature, lights, humidity, suction, bovie) Transfer patient to operating table Coordinate and participate in patient positioning, proper padding, application of tourniquets, insertions of urinary catheters Superior knowledge of positioning aids and equipment (e.g. fracture tables, head and body stabilizers, radiology compatible equipment) Prepare skin for surgery (e.g., hair removal, skin prep) Verify Identity of patient and operative site (time out) Remove casts, splints, braces, traction and similar devices Accommodate for specific patient needs Coordinate and participate in patient draping for specific operative sites and exposure Respond to Anesthesia and circulating nurses concerns in care of the patient Peri-operative: 1. Provide assistance to the surgical team in the assessment and care of the patient Facilitate the efficiency of the surgical procedure Operate specialty equipment during surgery Monitor and maintain sterile technique throughout the procedure Monitor that supplies and surgical instruments are satisfactory Perform designated action during an emergency (e.g., CPR) Irrigate, suction and sponge operative site Place and secure retractors without direction Clamp, tie, or cauterize vessels Suture tissue layers according to physician preference and direction Insert, position, and secure drains, catheters, and tubing Apply skin staples, or sutures Prepare and apply sterile dressings, casts, braces, and similar devices Evaluate patient post-operatively and document findings (e.g., skin integrity) Coordinate transfer of patient to post-op bed to ensure procedure integrity Receive, relay and authenticate written or verbal physician orders to surgical staff (excluding medication orders) Coordinate efforts with the surgical staff to keep physician schedule running smoothly and on time Additional Duties: Revise and update surgeons computerized preference cards Utilize computer technology for: radiology studies, implant templating, electronic medical record. Recognize safety and environmental hazards(e.g. Fire, chemical spill, laser smoke) Trouble shoot equipment malfunctions. (Report malfunctions, take equipment out of service. Apply universal precautions during all surgical procedures Serve as a technical support expert to surgeon and surgical team Function as preceptor, mentor for orientees, students, and co-workers (e.g. new procedures, physician preferences, new equipment and instrumentation. Apply ethical and legal practices related to surgical patient care. Understand the importance of cultural diversity Operate sterilization devices (Steam sterilization, Steris, Sterad Gas sterilization) Specialized Responsibilities:
- Perform vein harvesting. Endovascular trained desirable, but must have training in open approach with and without skips. Performance Requirements: Education/Experience/Certifications:
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technician Program. Current certification as a Certified Surgical Technician and a Certified First Assistant. Must have minimum of two years of experience and 350 cases documented as a First Assistant.
- Within a reasonable timeframe of employment work toward a CST and CFA status.
- CPR certification every two years
- Maintain CST/CFA status with 80 hours of continuing education credits every 4 years. Non-Essential Duties:
- Other duties as assigned within scope of practice Typical Physical Demands / Working Conditions Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients. May include upwards of 75 pounds. Superior manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires corrected vision to 20/30 and hearing to normal range. Frequent standing or walking or other means of mobility for extended periods of time. Requires frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations Essential Functions/Physical Demands Job Title/Position: Surgical Assistant Job Classification: Direct Patient Care / Hands-On Patient Care
Keywords: Prevea Health, Eau Claire , Certified Surgical First Assist/Registered Nurse First Assistant, Healthcare , Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!