Why Wrench for Waste Management?
STABILITY. GREAT PAY. ADVANCEMENT
Take the next step and put your high level of skill -
hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - to good use with modern
maintenance practices and technologies. We care about our
Mechanic's safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices
of all our mechanics and managers. You'll be rewarded for your
skills and ability as well as provided with opportunities for
growth. Check us out, WM may be the company for you.
Why should you apply? We invest in you!
- Great Pay (based on experience)
- Industry-leading health insurance
- Yearly tool allowance, boot allowance, uniforms, safety vests
and protective eye wear
- Paid vacation after 90 days
- Professional training
- Non flat-rate shops
- 401(K) with Company Match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Employee Discount programs
- An opportunity to work with an empowering workforce and career
Thank you for your interest in Waste Management. In response to
COVID-19, we will be conducting our review process through creative
solutions. Your patience and flexibility is appreciated as our
process may involve virtual solutions and take longer than normal.
Interview process timeline may be delayed and will vary by
About the Job
Our Mechanics are trained to provide superior maintenance on
both diesel equipment and on our growing fleet of CNG trucks.
You'll perform preventive maintenance inspection (PMI),
troubleshoot, repair, and rebuild major components on vehicles and
equipment. You'll work independently on equipment that requires a
high level of skill with hydraulics, electrical, and diagnostics.
As Lead on the Floor or Shift, you'll provide guidance and training
along with assisting other Mechanics as directed by the Fleet
What Does It Take to Be a Lead Diesel Mechanic?
Below are the minimum qualifications to be a fit for this
- Four (4) years of relevant work experience.
- Skill in operating tools equipment, parts, and procedures
utilized during the repair and servicing of vehicles and
- Skill in repair of special purpose equipment, ability to
effectively communicate needed repairs or tasks
- Ability to diagnose defects in and repair a variety of
equipment and vehicles
- Ability to utilize fleet maintenance software program
- Knowledge of Total Tire Maintenance Program may be
- A desire to have a career path leading to a management position
would be ideal.
- Must possess sound decision-making abilities and be able to
prioritize work load.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license and must have a clean driving
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with
or without reasonable accommodations.
What's the Shop Like?
This shop is modern, clean, and organized! This shop focuses on
delivering a high rate of efficiency. Our mechanics achieve this
high level of efficiency due to the collaborative environment
they've created that focuses on sharing best practices. If you're
looking for a great team environment, this is it.
What You'll Do
To be successful as a Lead Diesel Mechanic, you'll be expected
to perform the following tasks:
- Ensures compliance with all fleet processes (e.g. parts
ordering, scheduling, fleet prides, warranty capture)
- Provides feedback to Fleet Manager on performance and daily
progress of activities
- Ensures timely and efficient functions within the shop.
- Performs periodic QCI inspections and ensures the timely and
effective repair of any problems identified during an
- Provides assistance, guidance and direction to other
- Reviews and completes work orders on a daily basis.
- Provides guidance on daily work for Mechanics.
- Will occasionally direct work assignments to Mechanics
- PM scheduling, review, schedule, sign PM's, sign off
- Reviews completed PM's and applicable paperwork for other
- Makes recommendations regarding scheduling and assigned tasks
in accordance with business needs
- May be required to Lead safety meetings
- Assists with monitoring required WMU training for other
Mechanics to ensure compliance
- Provide estimates on time and material costs for repairs and
- Orders and receives parts and supplies as needed.
- Performs proficient inspection, diagnosis and moderately
complex repair of assigned vehicles and equipment
- Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret
failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
- Advises Fleet manager immediately if additional work is needed
or if repairs cannot be completed within the Standard Repair Times
- Inspects the quality of outside/supplier repairs and or
rebuilds. Assesses structural damage and assigns needed repairs
utilizing the most appropriate method(s).
- Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
- Conducts safety checks on vehicles. Performs maintenance
related work as required.
- Prioritize repairs / deficiencies, makes immediate decisions
regarding out of service status, and determines repair
- In the absence of supervision, will provide maintenance
- Ability to ensure and enforce all shop related safety protocol,
(administer) - Follow and reinforce with others all safety
processes and protocols
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and
work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such
as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day
- You'll handle objects less than 30 pounds most of the work
- You'll be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts,
burns, exposure to chemicals, etc.) often
- You'll be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt,
odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements often
About our Benefits
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a
competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental,
Vision, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability. As well as a
Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees
also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please
note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking
for, "Apply" today!
Waste Management (WM) is the leading provider of comprehensive
waste and environmental services in North America. WM serves nearly
25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and
municipal markets throughout North America through a network of
collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling
facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Equal Opportunity Employer: